Monday, October 25, 2021

Excerpt from the Next Diaspora Worlds Book!

  

Here is an excerpt from a new Diaspora Worlds book I'm working on. It is about half done and I hope to get it to the editor toward the end of November, for December release.

In Her Cyborg Awakes, Sabralia and QY live on a planet named Jewel, held by her warlord husband. They escape during a coup where the warlord is killed, and then the interstellar systems are engaged in war. Only New Prague and the warlord's horde knew about Jewel, and New Prague is a weapon's manufacturing planet, busy during wartime. New Prague has only just started colonizing its own southern continent.


Pixabay


In Cyborg Convergence, the warlord's old buddies start a cyborg manufacturing operation on Jewel, and hijack ships. Xiola and. Rohan are passengers on a ship that crashes on the planet.


Excerpt

The panels went up easier than she expected. Once the base was set, she attached and directed the long solar panels. They were made to move to get the best sunlight as the day progressed. When it was finished it looked a bit like a flower, turned to the sun.

She went back to the camp in the woods and joined the others for a meal. 

“No food for me. My stomach feels funny,” Journey said. Fallon caught Xiola’s eyes. She nodded her head, and they moved away from the cot.

 “I have a nutrient pack I can put in his water,” she said loudly. Then much softer, “Does his voice sound funny to you? Weaker?”

Xiola nodded. “He felt clammy. We need to keep him hydrated. Hopefully we can use that rejuv unit when the others return. The power cells should be full by tomorrow afternoon.”

They ate a quick midday meal. Xiola was heading back to the solar array when Journey cried out, ”I hear a ship!”

Xiola scrambled up the ridge and pulled out her monocular. “I see it. We have time. Fallon, children, head to the river and hide in the reeds. I’ll bring Journey.” 

Fallon and the kids headed up the rocky ridge while Xiola rushed to Journey. She’d have to drag the cot, he’d need to be tied onto it. “I’ll get some clothes to make straps.”

“No, Xiola, Journey said. “Look. I’m getting worse. Something is bad wrong, because I can’t breathe right anymore. Maybe an infection or something.

She examined his face. Pale, beaded sweat, lines on his skin a seventeen-year-old shouldn't have.

Drag me out by the wreckage and then head to the river. The cyborgs will take me, and hopefully not look for the rest of you. Likely they can heal me. His voice was weak and breathless.

Her heart fell as he spoke. They didn’t have the medical resources  to treat an infection or pneumonia. “But you’ll be turned into a cyborg!”

He closed his eyes for a moment. “Half Zh Cle’, remember? The cyborg process doesn’t work that well on half-n-halfs. Maybe I can free myself. Or maybe you survivors will figure out how to free us.” He opened his eyes. “Do it!”

In the end there was no time. She dragged him to the main wreckage and left him there.

“For the best,” he whispered. “Go.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

EXCERPT 2 ✨New Release!✨ The Trouble with Trifflz

  ✨New Release!✨ The Trouble with Trifflz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRK8V6T4 https://books2read.com/trifflz  EXCERPT 2 Mercenary women l...