Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Excerpt from Starlander's Pirate WIP

Long, long ago...

Years ago I wrote what I call a Space Western, Starlander's Myth. I always loved the world and the mix up of SFR, paranormal and fantasy elements. It was obviously Firefly inspired, and oddly enough Firefly still inspires me. I originally planned a trilogy but with all the publishing shuffles that never happened. But I had this idea in the back of my mind... Starlander's Pirate. 

I decided not too long ago to only do writing stuff that is fun so I pulled this out, deleted a scene that muddled too much stuff up, and am pantsing my way into the Black.



Excerpt

“Docking," the guard leader spoke. "We will soon enter the Nalan’s Belle through a lock. You will be housed in a storage bay where you will find bunks, hygiene facilities and rations.”
Soon after docking they were moved through a lock into a huge storage room. The guards pointed out bunks, a privacy wall with showers and toilets behind it, a galley area and storage units full of food packs. To Pansy's surprise, their housing was a corner of a huge, ship long open hold, with large doorways meant for cargo, only partly filled. Tall storage units separated the different section, but they were all connected by a long walkway.
“Find a bunk. We will take off in thirty minutes, use the bathrooms and make sure everyone is harnessed. Your master, the Enforcer, will meet with you at some point in the next few cycles. You are to obey him. Your slave bracelets won't allow you to leave this hold, you are welcome to wander about all you want down here.”
Pansy helped get the kids settled then harnessed herself on one of the top bunks where she could keep an eye on most of the group, other than those directly below her.
“I'm hungry,” one of the smaller children spoke as the engines increased the whir of warm up.
“I'm sure we will eat soon. Try and take a nap. It will be noisy and maybe bouncy, so we need to stay harnessed until ten bells.”
“Take off in one hundred and ninety-eight.” The auto clock started.
The ship took off from the spaceport, easier than the previous lift off from the planet in the transport ship. After an hour or so an auto voice directed them to unharness. Pansy and the other women found the ready made meals and got everyone fed. After eating the children played games in the walkway, reveling in the space to run.
"I wonder how long it takes to travel to Nalon Prime?" Elnora nervously pleated her skirt with her fingers. Pansy wondered if there was yarn around, Elnora found crocheting comforting.
“I wonder what an Enforcer is, and what they need blood for?” Madelina asked. “And how much?” Madelina had been the widow of a top commander, used to luxurious living before he was condemned as a traitor. She’d had an expensive Rejuv so looked younger than her forty years.
"Well." Elnora said. "We have children to protect. And old Shali." Shali was a tiny, elderly woman with arthritis and no money for a Rejuv. Also, a criminal record, though she'd once trained as a teacher. She'd been stuck in with them to help tame the youngsters.

Pansy’s stomach had that uncomfortable tight feeling that came with dread. "Enforcers are some type of super soldier. Like a one man army. The Core Planets use them."


2 comments:

  1. I am so looking forward to this book. I loved Starlander's Myth. I recently re=read it. And I know Pirate will be good too. K

    ReplyDelete
  2. i forgot to tell you I left a review for Orc In Winter on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete

EXCERPT 2 ✨New Release!✨ The Trouble with Trifflz

  ✨New Release!✨ The Trouble with Trifflz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRK8V6T4 https://books2read.com/trifflz  EXCERPT 2 Mercenary women l...