Saturday, May 8, 2010

LAID OFF




My last day of work is July 30th. The center I work at is closing, leaving 250 people without jobs in a small town of 50,000. Pretty scary. Alot of people are going to have to relocate, I think, unless another call center moves to town.

My job was to assist associates with processes on our many computer screens and platforms, all specific to that business, so my head is crammed with all kinds of knowledge that will be useless after July 30! I was always excited to learn a new thing,  a better way to do something. I didn't plan to stay there forever, but was getting my teaching certification together in hopes of finding a teaching job in the future, another step up in salary etc. I'm not yet ready to hunt for teacher jobs, need to take some classes to get up to speed.

I do have friends and colleagues in the preschool community and may go back to teaching preschool, which I loved. However, we are losing out health insurance too, so I will have to try and find a job with health insurance. Few preschools or daycares offer health insurance. I'm afraid we won't be able to pay the COBRA price tag and Hubby and I have pre existing health issues, so this is a Big Deal for us. As well as for many many of my work colleagues.

Would I love to stay home and write? Not in abject poverty, I wouldn't. Two incomes  keep us in the struggling middle class, one would be  horrid!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, I'm so sorry to hear that, exp. about the insurance you won't have anynore. A job can be found, but finding a company that offers a benefits package in today's market is hard.

    Good luck and my thoughts will be with you come July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that. Best of luck finding new employment digs.

    ReplyDelete

EXCERPT 2 ✨New Release!✨ The Trouble with Trifflz

  ✨New Release!✨ The Trouble with Trifflz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRK8V6T4 https://books2read.com/trifflz  EXCERPT 2 Mercenary women l...